As we begin another new year, many of us are at least attempting to set some goals for the days ahead. January is a great time to refocus on the things that are most important to us that can easily get set aside amidst all the busyness of our day-to-day lives.
There are a lot of passages in the Bible that are pretty clear about what God says should be most important in our lives. The one God led me to this week is in the opening verses of Paul’s letter to the believers in Colossae.
In the beginning of his letter, Paul tells them that he is praying some very specific things for them. Within the first twelve verses of Colossians we find this list that describes God’s desire for a fully devoted follower’s life:
- They seek God’s will
- They walk worthy
- They please God
- They bear fruit in good works
- They are growing in their knowledge of God
- They find strength in God’s power
- They endure when life is hard
- They are patient as they wait for God to work out His plan
- They joyfully give thanks to God for the life He has given them in His Kingdom
This year, I’m going to keep that list on the table by the chair where I spend time alone with God in the mornings. I’m going to let it remind me of the things that are most important to God for my life. And I’m going to let it remind me to make the right choices each day so those things will be true of my life.
by Bernice Gudgel